Cemetery Arrangement Counselor
Location: Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City
Status: Non Exempt, Full Time
What We Are Looking For
In joining our team, you are joining a dynamic group of diverse individuals committed to the Corporal Works of Mercy. For us, what we do is much more than a job or a career. If you feel called to be of service, we invite you to explore our career opportunities.
Cemetery Arrangements Counselor provides information and assistance to cemetery patrons regarding cemetery property, policies and practices by serving families that come to arrange for pre-need or at-need burial(s) in a supportive manner to families in grief; while establishing and maintaining effective communication of efforts with cemetery office administrative staff., parish priests and mortuary officials.
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
• Develops a growing rapport with families/patrons with an emphasis on service. Provides information to families allowing them to make a well-informed cemetery arrangement that meets their needs.
• Assists patrons with cemetery arrangements, works with parishes and mortuaries in assisting patrons.
• Advises and assists Manager regarding complaints from patrons, suppliers and other companies.
• Available to move from one cemetery to another as needed at the discretion of management.
• May assist with answering mail regarding locations, genealogy and business matters.
• Assists patrons with questions and concerns or refers to Manager for resolution.
• Accurately prepares and processes a variety of documents including daily burial and memorial permits; daily pending interment list and board; obtains burial permits from the Health Department
• Completes affidavit of heirs and/or release of interest forms as needed.
• May be required to interpret and/or translate for families in Spanish, as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of experience and education likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
• B.A. Degree or equivalent. Coursework in bookkeeping, basic clerical skills and experience with public relations or customer service.
• Two years of sales related experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community.
• Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Analyze and isolate errors and/or anomalies in system processing.
• Effective customer service skills, including ability to follow multiple pending requests through to completion.
• Ability to organize and coordinate projects.
• Working knowledge of AS/400 system operations.
• Proficiency in data entry and reconciliation techniques.
• Work independently with initiative and little supervision.
• Handle high level of responsibility.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Understanding of Christian Burial in the Catholic Church
• Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping and walking.
• Requires ability to frequently lift or move objects up to 30 pounds.• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands and arms.
• Ability to express or exchange information by means of the spoken word
Our Benefits include:
- Health Insurance ( Medical, Dental and Vision)
- Mental Health Services (Employee Assistance Program)
- Pension Plan
- 403B Plan
- Vacation & Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Discount Programs (24hr Fitness, LA Fitness, Hotel Engine, Great Work Perks*)
- *Great Work Perks (Amusement Parks, Car Rentals & Hotel, Restaurant, and Shopping discounts